Lungs are the primary respiratory organ, which helps you in breathing. In the lungs, millions of alveoli (air sacs) are present, which are balloon-like structures that make the entire lungs. In alveoli, a function of gaseous exchange takes place, i.e., and oxygen diffuses into the blood & carbon dioxide removes from the blood.
In the lungs, many hair-like projections are present in the inner lining of the lungs called cilia, which wipes to remove toxins & pollutants from the air entering the lungs after inhalation.
The function of the lung is altered in many types of lung diseases includes Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), Asthma, Chronic bronchitis, Emphysema, pneumonia & lung cancer infections.
So, in order to protect yourself from getting these diseases, you must follow the following points for health tips:
Avoid Cigarette Smoking
Cigarette smoke contains many toxic gases like carbon monoxide, nitrogen oxides, hydrogen cyanide, and the liquid vapors benzene, ammonia, methane, formaldehyde & acetone. These toxic substances when enters your lungs it can damage your airways (also called the bronchial tubes), your alveoli, cilia of lungs and can cause many fatal diseases like pneumonia, Emphysema, Chronic bronchitis, chronic obstructive pulmonary diseases (COPD) and many others.
Cigarette smoking badly affects your lungs and it may cause lung cancer.
Cigarette Smoking not only affects your lungs but also affects the other organs too. It can cause mouth cancer, cancer of throat, larynx, esophagus, stomach, pancreas, kidney and can cause many heart problems.
Considering all the harmful effects of smoking, it’s not too late to stop smoking if you smoke.
Stop smoking. Save yourself & your loved ones because cigarette smoking not only impacts on your health but also on the health of those around you who don’t smoke.
Minimize the Exposure to Indoor Air Pollutants
There are many sources of indoor air pollutions, including combustion (tobacco smoke, cooking & heating appliances like stoves, fireplaces, wood stoves), paints & construction material, etc. Which can cause pollution inside the building? Exposure to these agents can cause irritation, inflammation, and it can primarily affect the lungs cause many respiratory diseases, including asthma, hypersensitivity pneumonitis & lung cancer.
Exposure to indoor pollutants is much higher than outdoor pollutants. Because most of the people spend their large portion of time at home.
By using following health tips, you can decrease indoor air pollution:
- Use air-purifier & clean filters to improve your indoor air quality.
- Keep air-filtering plants (Aloe Vera, Peace Lily, Golden Pathos, English Ivy) at homes that save you from frequent cold, allergies, and burning sensations in the eyes.
- Safe use of household products with proper instructions.
- Don’t allow anyone to smoke indoors.
Minimize the Exposure to Outdoor Air Pollutants
The large part of outdoor pollutants consists of smog which comes from automobiles exhaust and industrial emissions. When you inhale air, not only oxygen but also other pollutant gases like Carbon dioxide, carbon monoxide, Sulphur dioxide, nitrogen dioxide, etc. enter your lungs and may cause many health problems. Day by Day air quality decreases outside and sometimes it is unhealthy to breathe in air which is full of air pollutants.
It can cause irritation of mouth, nose & throat, coughing, wheezing, headache, dizziness and may cause other respiratory problems.
As described by the American lung association, we can use many health tips to protect ourselves and our family from outdoor air pollutions. Which include:
- If the pollutant level is high in the air, avoid jogging and outdoor activities. It’s better to exercise at your home and don’t let your children play outside.
- Don’t burn wood or trash outside.
- Avoid heavy traffic areas as vehicles emit more pollution
Protect Yourself from getting Infections
Flu, Pneumonia and other respiratory symptoms can sometimes make lung diseases worse if you have it. Here are the following health tips of the day which helps to protect yourself from many infections:
- Wash your hands frequently with soap and water or using any alcohol-containing hand rub.
- Keep yourself away from rush places during the flu and cold seasons.
- Maintain your oral hygiene. That helps to protect you from germs or bacteria present in your mouth, which are the leading cause of many infections (e.g.: dental caries, periodontal diseases or gum diseases, etc.). Brush your teeth daily 2 times a day.
- If you are ill, it’s better to stay at home until you feel better and keep a distance from your loved ones so that they stay safe.
READ MORE: How to Lose Weight Fast Unbelievable?
Water plays a key role to keep your lung healthy. It is the major component of your living cells too. Water helps blood to move in and move out of the lungs. It also helps in the movement of cilia which are present inside the inner lining of your lungs, to push toxins out of the lungs & in healing processes.
Dry lung causes an irritation. When you get dehydrated, you feel dizziness, headache, and weakness. Therefore, it is necessary that in order to keep your body active, stay hydrated and drinks at least 6-8 glass of water in a day.
Eat Healthy Diet-rich Food
Eating a healthy diet rich food is the best way in order to keeps your lungs healthy.
Here are mentioned some healthy foods:
- Apples: Apples are the most versatile fruit as they serve a wide variety of purposes. It contains flavonoids, vitamin E & C, which keep your lungs healthy. It also helps in the lung healing process by removing toxins & pollutants. So, eat an apple every day and keeps your lungs healthy.
- Pomegranates: It is an amazing fruit that helps to prevent you from lung tumors. It helps in making blood in your body. It contains antioxidants which help in purifying your lungs.
- Nuts, Seeds & Beans: All three of these contain a rich amount of magnesium, which is essential for healthy lung functioning & maintain long-term lung health.
- Ginger: It has anti-inflammatory properties. Food that has anti-inflammatory properties helps in eliminating the pollutants from the lungs and improves lung health.
- Garlic & Onion: These might not smell great but are one of the best foods for your heart & lungs. These help in reducing inflammation & lowers your blood cholesterol level.
Include onion & garlic in your foods as they will help you in cleansing lungs.
Other diet-rich foods, fatty fish, apricots, broccoli, turmeric, carrot, oranges, berry, grapefruits, green tea, vitamin-D rich foods, pottery & dietary supplements for example chicken, turkey, eggs, milk, etc. may help to keep your lungs healthy.
Your lung doesn’t need just food, they need exercise too. By exercising, you can keep your muscles healthy & strong not only of lungs but also of the whole body. Exercise is important for your lung’s health. It helps to increase your lung capacity and helps people to feel better.
Many breathing exercises are also recommended to the patients of COPD, asthma or patients who have shortness of breath. There are so many breathing exercises but not all exercises are for you if you have any of the lung diseases. Before doing exercise, you should take proper instructions from your primary health care professionals or your physician.
Laughing is also a great exercise for abdominal muscles, and it increases your lung capacity.
It is a type of breathing that helps to strengthen your diaphragm, which is an important muscle helps you in breathing. Diaphragmatic breathing is also called Deep breathing.
Deep breathing helps to relax your whole body. When you get more & more oxygen to your body, it can help in decreasing your blood pressure, heart rate, fear, and stress. And by reducing stress you can keep your immune system strong. Inhaling more amount of oxygen helps to keep your lungs healthy and helps to protect you from several respiratory conditions like COPD, Asthma & Emphysema.
Conclusion for Health Tips
If you lose your health, you lost everything. So, love your lungs. Keep them healthy by following all the above health tips. If you have any respiratory symptoms like coughing, wheezing, shortness of breath, chest pain, dizziness, consult your doctor first because it all begins with you. If you do not take care of yourself, you will not be strong enough to care about anything in life.
Stay Healthy, Stay Happy. If you like 8 Health Tips for Lungs then do comment below.
BY: MARIYYAH AHMAD