Coronavirus (COVID-19) declared by the World Health Organization (WHO) as a pandemic on 11th March 2020. WHO has warned European Countries, where the coronavirus is dangerously gaining ground “do not let this fire burn”.
Originally emanated from Wuhan, China, transmitted from animal(s) to humans and spread from human to human, coronavirus has spread like wide fire in most countries of the world.
On 12th March 2020, the European Centre for Disease Control and Prevention (ECDC) reported that all EU/EEA countries have been affected by the virus and more than 100 countries of the world are affected by the virus.
What comes to mind of every human being is could this be the end of the world?
Deaths toll most countries affected by the virus on a daily basis, especially China, South Korea, Iran, and Italy. More than 156,099 persons have been reported affected and 5819 persons feared dead from the virus as at 14th March 2020.
This led to most countries taking stringent measures like closure of borders to curtail the spread of the virus in their countries. In another turnaround, the outbreak of the virus has led to the closure of schools, restaurants, markets, prayer centers; football matches canceled; airline flights canceled; big companies like Google, Apple, Amazon, Facebook, Twitter have asked all their staff to work from home.
The US President, Donald Trump has signed an $8.3bn emergency bill to combat the virus.
Truly, health is wealth! Everyone all over the world so much fear for their life and health that they are so mindful of where they go, what they do and who they associate and interact with.
People have even made some quotes such as the fear of coronavirus is the beginning of wisdom. Some people are not even ready to welcome their loved ones back home from those countries seriously affected by the virus; they have candidly advised them to remain wherever they are.
After all, remaining where you are could just be the solution to curtail the widespread of the virus and saving humanity from annihilation.
More also, we need both individual and collective efforts to combat coronavirus and send it back to the pit of hell it belongs. This earth is the home we have got and it becomes a home because we have fellow humans living here with us.
We must fight together to defeat coronavirus.
The following steps should be taken:
1. Avoid close contact with persons suspected to be infected by the virus at least 6 feet away.
2. Cover your mouth and nose with hands when you cough or sneeze to prevent respiratory droplets produced thereof from landing in the mouths or noses of people who are nearby or possibly be inhaled into the lungs.
3. Regularly wash your hands with soap and water, when in public or use a hand sanitizer that contains 60% and above alcohol, if there is no soap and water available.
4. Do not touch your mouth, eyes, nose with your hands when in public.
5. When going into public, wear a nose mask.
6. If you suspect to have contacted the virus by having a fever and cough that renders you breathless, stay at home; isolate yourself from others; get tested at the designated center and get ready for quarantine.
7. Disinfect the home or place where an infected person lives thoroughly.
By: Franca Abubokhale